Goji berries are an exotic fruit growing on the vines of the Lycium Barbarum plant. This perennial grows wild in the mountain valleys of the Himalayas and was discovered over 5000 years ago by the native tribes that continue to call these remote parts home. The Goji berries have been a main nutritional source in their daily diet and has had a remarkable impact on their health and longevity. Some native people within the Ningxia and Hunza tribes have lived to 150 years while it is not uncommon to have a life expectancy of 100 years.
Now the western hemisphere has been introduced to the Goji berry and studies have been done to show its amazing health properties. The Goji berry is a nutrient rich fruit that has tremendous benefits. Dosages vary depending on if you are using the fruit juice for general wellness or to help treat a specific disease or illness. For a general sense of well being, it is recommended that you drink 2-4 ounces of Goji juice or eat 10-30 grams of dried Goji berries per day. This dosage will ensure that you receive the full benefits of the Goji fruit though there are no side effects or adverse reactions to drinking more than 4 ounces of Goji juice a day. The taste of the Goji berry juice is sweet and sour (it has been described as tasting like a tropical grape juice).
Goji Berry Nutrients
Here are the Goji berry nutrients (and it is no wonder they call it the ‘happy berry’):
- Vitamin C – the Goji berry contains approximately 500 times the amount per gram than oranges. Only 2 sources of vitamin C are more abundant- the South American camu camu berry and the Australian billygoat plum.
- Beta-Carotene and Zeaxanthin – these antioxidant carotenoids are of great importance to maintaining healthy eyes and vision. Goji berries contain more beta-carotene than carrots.
- Vitamin B1, B2, B6, and E – important antioxidants used in energy metabolism.
- Linoleic Acid – improves immune functioning by encouraging the body’s own healthy inflammatory response, also helps to reduce body fat.
- 18 Amino Acids ( 9 which are essential) – these are the building blocks that make up proteins. Proteins are vital in the manufacturing and repairing of the bodies cells, they create antibodies, enzymes, and hormones, and protein is converted to glucose for energy.
- 21 trace minerals including Calcium, Zinc, Copper, Iron, Selenium, Geranium, Phosphorus, etc.
- Polysaccharides – this phytonutrient compound is a carbohydrate which controls and commands the body’s defence system by attaching to our bodies proteins in order to ward off illness, free radicals, and pollutants throughout our body. Also known as the ‘master molecule’.
Complex Compounds including:
- Solavetivone – an anti-fungal and anti-bacterial compound.
- Physalin – active natural agent found to be effective in treating leukemia and Hepatitis B.
- Betaine – enhances liver production of choline which promotes muscle growth, improves memory, calms, and protects against liver disease.
- Cyperone – a sesquiterpenoid that aids the heart and blood pressure, as well as cervical cancer and menstruation problems.
- Beta-Sitoserol – anti-inflammatory which lowers cholesterol, treats sexual impotence and an enlarged prostate gland.
More Similar Post Like Goji Berry Nutrients
- More Post on Fruit Nutrition
- Nutritional Value Of Persimmons
- A Natural Fat Burning Food Nutrition In Strawberries
- Mango Nutrition Facts
- Top 7 most Common Bananas Nutrition
- Vitamins and Minerals in the Pineapple Fruit
- Top Plums Nutrition Facts You May not Know
- Revealing the Papaya Nutrition Facts
- Goji Berry
- More Post On Beverages Nutrition
- Goji Juice Nutrient Facts