This vegetable is topped with green sprouts. Most of the broccoli looks like cabbage. It is considered to be a super food because of its powerful antioxidant concentration. Broccoli is deemed as one of the healthiest vegetables.
Health benefits of broccoli :
- Wakes up the immune system : Broccoli has a special nutrient which can prompt the immune system to take action against infection, disease and mutating cells. This health benefits of broccoli can be exploited by eating lots of broccoli when one is sick due to an infection. It can promote the immune system to fight against viruses, bacteria and other pathogens.
- Anti-Cancer : The effect it has on the immune system can also help the body in killing the cancerous cells and even those that are mutating and may be risk for cancer.
- DNA repair : A particular nutrient in health benefits of broccoli works at the genetic level and protects the DNA of the body. It keeps the cells healthier and promotes better health of the entire body.
- Protects central vision : Broccoli contains good amount of lutein. This is considered part of Vitamin A. Lutein is found in macula region of the eyes, which helps in seeing the central region in front of the eyes. If the macula degenerates , person is unable to see what is exactly in front of the eyes, although side vision is fine. This way, broccoli prevents loss of eyesight in old age.
- Broccoli is good for the heart in some ways. Eating broccoli can keep the heart and blood vessles strong and disease free.
- Cholesterol : Steamed broccoli lowers blood cholesterol slowly. This too explains how health benefits of broccoli is good for the heart.
- Broccoli helps the liver and kidneys in removing toxic substances from the body, a process widely known as detoxification.
Broccoli nutrition facts :
- It is a good source of Vitamin A, Vitamin B6, Vitamin B 9 or Folate and an excellent source of Vitamin C.
- It provides nearly complete requirement of Vitamin K in a 100 gram serving.
- Broccoli is one of the few vegetable sources of Vitamin D .
- It also provides dietary minerals like iron, potassium, phosphorus, manganese and magnesium.
- Kaempferol : This is a flavonoid in broccoli which protects the nervous system and helps in anxiety, stress and allergy. It may reduce the effects of an allergy like hives and swelling.
Traditional uses of broccoli that have been used in ancient medicine :
- Roman civilization is known to popularize broccoli. It was used to treat skin diseases and even urinary tract infections that frequently cause trouble for women mostly.
- It is also believed to have a healing effect on the intestinal tract and prevent cancers of this tract.
Broccoli is also used as a natural or home remedy for hyperthyroidism , a condition in which the thyroid gland in throat is much more active than it should be.
Broccoli should be steamed to preserve the concentration of nutrients in it. Other forms of cooking may lower nutrients in it. Broccoli can be prepared into sprouts which taste crunchy and are even enjoyed by children. Broccoli stalks or stems should also be eaten and not just the florets. They too contain nutrition.
More Similar Post Like Health Benefits Of Broccoli
- Why Fresh Raw Broccoli Nutrition Facts Ain’t as Good as it Used to Be
- Myths Uncovered About Broccoli Nutrition Facts
- How Calories in Broccoli is Part of a Vast Right Wing Conspiracy
- Health Benefits Of Broccoli And Nutrition Facts
- Doing Broccoli Nutrition Facts the Right Way
- Fight Cancer with Nutrition Facts Broccoli
- Nutrition Facts for Broccoli: The Perfect Vegetable for the Health Conscious
- Broccoli Facts: The Ultimate Healthy Vegetable
- More Post On Vegetables Calories