Health benefits of onions and nutrition facts. They have been used as a vegetable since ages. The pungent nature of onion reserves a special place for it. The onion provides quality nutrition facts and also some important substances that help in very diverse health conditions. Onions have been used in medicine since ancient times.
Health benefits of onions :
- They are high in sulfur compounds which helps to regenerate the connective tissue in the entire body. It helps to maintain the volume and strength of connective tissue.
- Anti-inflammatory food : Onions are one of the very potent anti-inflammatory foods. They can help in relieving allergic responses in the body. Eating onions may also benefit in inflammatory diseases like arthritis.
- Onions seem to have some cancer preventive effect. They should be taken regularly to avail this benefit.
- Onion is a powerful antiobacterial food. It can help in killing bacteria inside the body and even on the skin.
- Some nutrients in onion can have cholesterol lowering effects which is great for the health of arteries and the heart. It improves circulation of blood.
Onion nutritional facts and health benefits from nutrition :
- Onions are a good source of Vitamin B 6 and some other B vitamins. It is also a good source of Vitamin C , Manganese and Phosphorus.
Other uses of onion in different cultures for medicinal purposes :
- Onion juice is used to rub on the scalp for promoting hair growth.
- Ancient medicine systems believed that onions are great for muscles and better blood circulation.
- Onion juice is used as an ingredient in an eye drop formulation which has been used in India since ancient times.
- Ancient medicinal texts from Ayurveda mention the use of onions as eye wash and a tonic for the joints.
- Rubbing onion on the skin seems to have a freshening effect on aching muscles.
- Onion juice is also used for reducing lower back pain.